Stopdesign asks if it’s time to move beyond 960. Hardware suppliers assumed market would want higher resolutions, but in reality final users don’t go beyond 1080×960 px like power users - developers, video producers - do.
I wrote this answer originally on my google shared items, but I’m reposting here since I need more input.
My theory is that final users didn’t migrate to higher resolutions simply because it makes typefaces smaller by default. had we grew the screens, while preserving typeface size’s ratio, people would go for it.
Then again, we depends on corporate defaults, and those depend on programmers that - unlike final users - love smaller fonts to glance at more code.
If that’s the case, it’s a huge blind spot.
twenty-one jquery & CSS effects I like. Enjoy.
- Premailer — preflight for HTML e-mail
- jQuery Inline Confirm
- 8 Ajax Data Controls and Effects to Work with Tables
- jQuery plugin: ‘autoResize’
- DataTables: highly flexible data table component
- Animated Ajax Record Deletion Using jQuery Example
- Moving Boxes
- IE Fix: Bicubic Scaling for Images
- Text Effects Plugin
- KeyTable: Instant keyboard navigation in a table
- Spell Check - Instant Website Spell Checker
- Overlay your HTML with eyecandy with jquery overlay
- Styleneat - CSS Organizer
- jQuery Tabbed Interface / Tabbed Structure Menu Tutorial
- Simple Photo Gallery
- A fancy Apple.com-style search suggestion
- Sliding Boxes and Captions with jQuery
- Accessible News Slider
- Fade Out Bottom
- Fix My HTML
- Web Development Project Estimator
- JQuery Drop-Down Combo Box
- How to Make a Smooth Animated Menu with jQuery (tutorial)
Create an apple style menu and improve it via jQuery
- jQuery Editable Plugin
- jQuery FadeI/fade Out Effect
- Menu Fader
- Fixed drawer slide out demo (using accordion plugin)
- create astonishing ical-like calendars with jquery
- CompareNetworks jQuery’d Bread Crumb
- Moving Boxes
- Coda Popup Bubbles
I tuck all cool effects I find under a TOOLS bookmark folder… Below is my updated collection. It’s heavily slanted towards jquery effects, but you can find CSS tricks & other graphic design tools.
- Word HTML cleaner - A tool to strip Microsoft’s proprietary tags and other superfluous noise from Word-generated HTML documents, leaving all the basic goodness intact.
- Body Border - cool CSS trick
- jQuery ToolTip
- ecommr - a collection of e-commerce interface and design elements
- Spoonflower - custom fabrics
- Superfish - an enhanced menu jQuery plugin that takes an existing pure CSS drop-down menu and adds much-sought-after enhancements
- Favikon - creating favicons has never been easier
- SocialHistory.js - enables you to detect which social bookmarking sites your visitors use
- jQuery magicpreview plug-in - automatically updates selected elements on a page based on form fields. Perfect for previewing forms.
- jQuery pageSlide - sliding (or “throwing”) content aside to reveal a secondary content pane
- Color Fading Menu with jQuery - fading is the new rollover
- Animate a hover with jQuery - Animate an image while hovering it and show the visitors information while doing that
- Ctunnel is here to protect your anonymity online! Browse the web through our server to get past pesky url or ip based filters!
- VectorMagic - Convert bitmap images to vector images with a few simple clicks
- Blueprint Grid CSS Generator - generate more flexible versions of Blueprint’s grid.css and compressed.css and grid.png files
- HTML/XHTML Character Entities
- Convert TrueType Font to Sifr Flash File - Upload your font and they’ll send the sifr file to you
- .htaccess Password Generator - generate all the necessary codes needed to password protect a directory or selects files within it on your site via .htaccess
- Select Multiple Form Fields - Finding a better solution for multiple selection
- jQuery iPod-style Drilldown Menu - an iPod-style drilldown menu to help users traverse hierarchical data quickly and with control
Load Content While Scrolling With jQuery
- Galleriffic - A jQuery plugin for rendering fast-performing photo galleries
- Using jQuery for Background Image Animations
- Versionista - monitors any Website and alerts you when it changes, visually showing you the exact words and senteces that have been added or removed
- A brand new PNG fix for IE6
- prettyCheckboxes - a solution for people who wants to have a consistent look for checkboxes across browser or those who simply want them to look better
- Packaging Templates
- PatternTap - Interface collection for design inspiration
- jParallax - turns a selected element into a ‘window’ that moves in response to the mouse
- NEW dynamic basic CSS TEMPLATES
- 4 Uber Cool Css Techniques For Links
- text2mindmap - convert your text to mindmaps
- bgPatterns - make or browse patterns on the web
- BigTarget.js - Increase the size of click targets and get more call-to-action conversions
- Multicolr Search Lab - Using visual similarity technology you can navigate flickr interesting collection by colour
- title - description
- droppy - Nested drop down menus
- Lorem2 - An all-around better Lorem experience
Dear Rich People,
We, the poor, feel it’s time you knew the truth. We grow weary of the way you look at us, and you’re getting to be a real pain to live with. SO here’s the truth, direct from headquarters: We are poor because we spend every last dollar on building and maintaining an opulent underground paradise, a world so breathtaking it would humble you into a coma. We din’t mention it before-we thought that would be tacky-but we’re too fed up to care about your feelings.
Farewell, for now we step into our shimmering crystal elevators, never to return. And you’re not invited.
Regretfully, The Poor.